The Society held a very successful Summer Show in the Parish Hall combined with a Boot Fair on the surrounding green. The Show was an open one so non-members were welcome to enter which they did. We welcomed 5 judges who spent a lot of time picking out the winners in the various sections and we thank them for their help.
Ladies did particularly well and the list of main prizewinners is as follows.
1. Jan Aplin for her entries with garden flowers and pot plants , Jan also won the Domestic Cup for her jams and baking.
2. Audrey Shadwell for her handicraft entries.
3. Patricia Mason for her Floral Art.
4. Marlene Walker accepted the cup on behalf of the Mill Hill Allotment Association for their tray of vegetables.
The men did well and the main winners were as follows
1. Fred White who won the National Dahlia Society silver medal for his magnificent display of dahlias.
2. Mick Beer was the joint winner of the Apple Cup, he also produced the heaviest onion and the best onion in the Show.
3. Bill Haines shared the Apple Cup and received the trophy for the best entry of tomatoes in the show.
4. Peter Aplin produced the best runner beans and also won the photographic competition.
5. Trevor Burton was the most successful entrant winning 4 cups including the prestigious Royal Horticultural Society Banksian Medal for his many entries in the vegetable and flower sections.
Altogether a very successful Show, one disappointment there were no entries in the children’s section , perhaps next year.! The prizes were presented to the winners by the Society Chairman The Rev. Peter Hambrook
Report submitted by Michael Blee.